Saturday, September 5, 2009

Zombies, Mass Effect: Acsension

This week deals with Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. This is an interesting novel for a number of reasons. It is somewhat hard to judge how I feel about this book. The original novel of Pride and Prejudice, by Jane Austin, is a book that I would lack interest in and unlikely read. This type of novel is simply not engaging to me. The subject matter is not my cup of tea, involving the overly complicated yet very minor relationships each character has with one another. There issues with each other just does not peak my interest in what is essentially a love story with high class characters in this society. BUT... on the other hand, this novel has zombies. Now right away you would think this would actually peak my interest and get me into the novel. I mean, they're zombies after all, and along with zombies always comes over the top violence that is morally acceptable. However, this is really not the case. I still lack real interest in the novel. Zombies aren't enough for me to really enjoy it, so to speak. While there are zombies, the story is still essentially the same. It still can't hold my interest and keep me entertained. It would be like trying to add some kind of seasoning to a food you don't like. It might change the dish slightly, but you still won't like what you are eating. Simply incorporating something like zombies into what is the same basic story doesn't really change how I feel about it.

Over the past week I also listened to the entirety of an audio book for a novel called Mass Effect: Ascension. This sci-fi novel is the second novel based on the video game, Mass Effect. This is the type of book I really enjoy: novels based within the universes of various video games, usually science fiction. Being based on something I already enjoy, my interest is always peaked when reading these novels, seeing how they are interwoven with the storylines of the video games, and catching other nods to the games in the little details. This particular novel I quite enjoyed because of how it eluded to potential tidbits that will appear in the soon to be released next game in the series, Mass Effect 2. Overal though, I prefered the original Mass Effect novel, Mass Effect: Revelation.

No comments:

Post a Comment