Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Frankentsein

I will first say that the story of Frankenstein has become so familiar, widespread, altered, and in a way mainstream that the story itself has somewhat lost its appeal and its uniqueness. If I had no prior knowledge of the story of Frankenstein's monster, the novel probably would have had more of a moving reaction, evoking more interest and emotion from me. I have also previously watched movies such as Bride of Frankenstein prior to reading the novel, which I personally felt were underwhelming films that left more to be desired. Because of this my interest in Frankenstein was so-so. The way in which the novel is written was also quite wordy and somewhat hard to concentrate as I read it, making it harder still to enjoy the novel and Frankenstein property. However, I will say that there is a surprising amount of depth to the characters and motives. The characters are sympathetic and have a lot of emotion which is the best part of the novel. Particularly the motives of the monster and its emotions as the story progresses. This was the most interesting aspect as I read through the story. It all came together for me when the monster was seen mourning at Frankenstein's body after he passes away. That was the moment that sticks in my mind the most because of the monster's reasoning and sorrow. In a way I almost felt that everything that transpired throughout the novel between the monster and Frankenstein was justified in this scene. If not justified, at least resolved in a sympathetic matter. I wouldn't consider them at peace by any means. Frankenstein did die in unrest after all, attempting to track down his monster. Though the monster is still alive, he is clearly troubled by the culmination of everything he's been through up until this point. It's almost as if the monster has accepted the misery of his existance, and knowing the fate of his creator, is prepared to accept his own sad fate. It's this emotional relatioinship that really keeps the novel going in my opinion, moreso than the simple concept of Frankenstein creating the living being that is his monster.

No comments:

Post a Comment