Saturday, September 12, 2009

Vampires

Vampires....this subject is interesting to say the least. I am a big fan of monsters- classic horror creatures and so on. But I have a hard time deciding where I stand on the current state of vampires. The concept is definitely cool. Near immortal beings that feast on blood. Big fangs. They are just cool, intimidating, and in a lot of situations, scary. It is very clear that modern vampire stories are essentially for female audiences though. They are like gothic chick flicks. Everything revolves around desperate relationship issues. It's almost awkward for me to read. The focus has in some ways shifted away from real horror and envoking feelings of fear in favor of just being gothic romance for a modern audience. Oldschool vampires are definitely cheesy, on the flip side. When it comes to vampires, for me, I really enjoy the monstrous bat-like vampires. Much more animalistic. Same goes with warewolves, really. I love the big monstrous ones, as oposed to the dorky hairy-man type of warewolves. The novel, Interview with a Vampire, is quite an interesting one though. I do like the dark interpretation of the story. I remember seeing the movie as well when I was younger, and it had that dark vibe to it that I always accociated with horror. It was somewhat perverse though, but I guess that is really just the norm when it comes to vampires.

No comments:

Post a Comment